Re: SSH ate my computer!

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 09:17:53AM -0800, Tyson Varosyan wrote:
> Be that as it may, I just reloaded my whole box. I cannot remember doing
> anything else for the past 3-4 days that could have caused the problem. I
> installed SSH, rebooted, and BAM, everything haywire... In hindsight, I have
> a theory. Whether caused by SSH, I think that the network problems on my
> machine were caused by the ID of my LAN connection changing from Eth1 to
> Eth0. I think that it drove shorewall bonkers. I should have thought of
> changing the settings in the shorewall before nuking the box...
>
> Anyhow, so I now have a clean load and I still cannot get SSH server to work
> on my box. I answered all of the questions that came after the install with
> YES. I have port 22 open. What more do I need to get it to run as a daemon?
> The goal is for it to start without the need for anyone to log on to the
> box.

If you have the ssh server - it should run as a daemon anyway.

Check whether you have both the server and client

apt-get install openssh-server and/or dpkg-reconfigure ssh ??

What do /etc/ssh_config and /etc/ssh_d.config say ??

Which Debian version: Etch or Sid?  The answer may make a difference
when replying to questions on Debian lists - some of the stuff in
unstable hasn't propagated to testing yet.

Andy