Re: udev strangeness in Sid?

Hi,

I have been bitten by this bug now, too, after I recompiled my 2.6.15 kernel
from the newest Debian sources today.

The exact error messages are (ScrollLock + pen and paper):

udevd-event[n-1]: run-program: exec of program '/lib/udev/udev_run_hotplugd' failed
udevd-event[n]: run-program: exec of program '/lib/udev/udev_run_devd' failed

The errors stop as soon as the root file system is mounted; in my case they
reach a count of n>1000 before that happens. I had no luck googling for these
messages.

I then found out that the problem is absent when I create my initrd with yaird
instead of mkinitramfs. The yaird-generated initrd is also much smaller than the
one from mkinitramfs (939 KB vs 2.1 MB).

Older versions of package initramfs-tools appear to have the same problem with
the current linux-source-2.6.15-6 (I tried 0.50c, 0.49 and 0.48), therefore I am
not sure how to file a bug report properly (against initramfs-tools, against the
kernel sources, or both?). Any suggestions? It would probably be a "wishlist"
bug anyway, since the general consensus in this thread seems to be that there
are no negative effects besides the annoying error messages.

Regards,
           Florian