Re: Installing Debian from a DOS partition

I have Debian Sarge running pretty well on a 110CT, and it works
fine if you stick to traditional Unix tools and avoid really bloated
and CPU intensive things like KDE/GNOME which rely on fast processors
and vast amounts of memory... (although they do run if you are patient).

In fact even the 66Mhz 486 desktop (with 32MB ram) I am using at the
moment is perfectly fine with traditional tools (fvwm, xterm, mutt etc).
My 230MHz/64MB Libretto is the 'fast' machine ;)

X, PCMCIA LAN and audio are all working, but you might find it struggles
a bit if you want to play 44.1Khz stereo MP3's or play movies.

I did my first Linux install onto the Libretto without removing the hard
drive by using a PLIP (parallel port) based network, which at the time
was the only option that did not require reading a second boot floppy.
It was Red Hat 5.2 if I remember correctly. Not sure if Debian
supports that, because I bootstrapped the Debian install from an
existing SuSE Linux partition (which in turn was bootstrapped from
the Red Hat).

Hibernation is not a problem if you reserve 64MB at the right place
on the disk. I wrote a program to determine where things were being
written. It is supposed to be at the end of the disk, but the BIOS
can't see more than 4GB so if you have more than that, you need to
leave a dummy partition at the 4GB boundry.

As you are still using the original 4GB drive, then make sure you do
your partitioning on the Libretto itself (ie don't move the drive to
a desktop and partition it) and the space for hibernation will be
reserved at the end of the disk automatically (the BIOS lies about
the size to do it..).

I am currently using a 20GB drive, and the  partition map looks like this:

/dev/hda1               1         195     1566306    6  FAT16
/dev/hda2             196         390     1566337+  9f  BSD/OS
/dev/hda3             391         584     1558305   83  Linux
/dev/hda4   *         585        2432    14844060    5  Extended
/dev/hda5             585         648      514048+   6  FAT16
/dev/hda6   *         649         714      530113+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7             715         780      530113+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda8             781        1018     1911703+  83  Linux
/dev/hda9            1019        1028       80293+  83  Linux
/dev/hda10           1029        2048     8193118+  83  Linux
/dev/hda11           2049        2179     1052226   83  Linux
/dev/hda12           2180        2432     2032191   83  Linux

The hda9 partition is where hibernation goes...

The MBR contains the BSD/OS 'bootany' bootloader, and hda4
contains GRUB. The Debian root is hda6.

I am planning to upgrade to a 100GB drive soon, so I might
experiment with an install from scratch then.

It is worth getting a 2.5" to 3.5" ide converter at some point.
I use it to clone disks with dd for backups, because it lets
me backup all of the various operating systems the same way,
and if a drive fails I can just plug in the backup with no
complex re-installs, and I know everything is identical to
the original at the time I took the snapshot..

Regards,
DigbyT

http://www.digbyt.com