Re: Installing Debian from a DOS partition

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:45:52AM +0100, M. Maas wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I recently got my hands on a Toshiba Libretto 110CT. Which is a very
> small laptop, with no cd player, just a pcmcia floppy disk that only
> works under DOS, because the Linux kernel does not have the drivers for it.
>
> I've finally been able to upload files to and from the DOS partition
> using a parallel cable connection.
>
> I can also boot to DOS using either the hard drive or a boot floppy.
>
> But how can I start installing Debian (total hard drive = 4Gb, the Dos
> Partition = 1Gb) starting from DOS?
>
> I've read [http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/index.html.en] but
> it does not help me much in getting drivers for PCMCIA network cards, or
> even starting up debian.

> Thanks,
> Mark
Hi Mark,
I have a Toshiba Libretto 100CT with Sarge. Although I did not install
it with Sarge initially. I keep a small DOS partition on in for
compaitbility purposes but with the advent of usb thumb drives, I need
it less. The easiest way to install it would be to remove the drive, get
a 2.5" to 3.5" ide converter (less than $10 US) and mount it in a
desktop pc. Install on that, and then put it back in the laptop. Then
you can start fiddling with X and such. If you want I can send you my
'dpkg --get-selections' as a guide.  I use it with a 802.11b wifi card
with X and Firefox. Its slow but usable for note taking, programming
practice, reading email... The only caveat is to DISABLE hibernation! I
havent got the setup right for HD > 2 GB and it trashes sectors.
Cheers,
Kev