SOLVED: RAID5 config / boot problem

>> you can get around all of the above by simply using your own custom
>> kernel with built in drivers for that sata controller
>> 	- modules is for job security for those that want to
>> 	build up hours to help corps debug systems that wont boot :-)
>
> So I just need to make myself a new kernel with those drivers in? Makes
> sense, because IIRC it tried to activate the array before the fsck, so
> that would actually work if the drivers were in.

This worked. I made a new kernel from 2.5.15.2, compiled in the sata_nv
and sata_sil drivers, and added a new initrd line to the grub config file
(this was not done by the funky-.deb-maker-thingy). On reboot, the drives
are detected before fsck is tried, and the RAID array starts up without
problems. df shows the drive mounted as expected.

Thanks for your help, Alvin :-)
James