Re: Cannot change Apache2 ServerName/ServerAlias

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 04:47:26PM -0500, Yu,Glen [Ontario] wrote:
> I'm having trouble changing the ServerName & ServerAlias to look up my page.
>
> I'm running Debian 3.1 with 2.4.x kernel on an old Dell laptop, however, I can only access my page via http://server but not as something else (i.e. http://newpagename).  This is what I have at the moment inside /etc/apache2/sites-available/default (I simply changed DocumentRoot, commented out RedirectMatch ~/$ /apache2-default, and added in ServerName server and ServerAlias newpagename:

You also need to have newpagename as one of your host names. In your
/etc/hosts you need to have something like:

10.0.0.1 server newpagename

> NameVirtualHost *
> <VirtualHost *>
>         ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
>
>         # DocumentRoot /var/www/
>         DocumentRoot /home/glen/webdir
>         <Directory />
>                 Options FollowSymLinks
>                 AllowOverride None
>         </Directory>
>         <Directory /var/www/>

Since you changed the document root, this directory directive is not
really related to your new location. If you want to set options for
your new document root, you need <Directory /home/glen/webdir/>. Of
course the options from the main configuration file
/etc/apache2/apache2.conf for <Directory /> apply to /home/glen/webdir,
so you may want to check those as well.

>                 Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
>                 AllowOverride None
>                 Order allow,deny
>                 allow from all
>                 # This directive allows us to have apache2's default start page
>                 # in /apache2-default/, but still have / go to the right place
>                 # RedirectMatch ^/$ /apache2-default/
>         </Directory>
>
>         ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
>         <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
>                 AllowOverride None
>                 Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
>                 Order allow,deny
>                 Allow from all
>         </Directory>
>
>         ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log
>         # Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,
>         # alert, emerg.
>         LogLevel warn
>
>         CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined
>         ServerSignature On
>
>     Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
>     <Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
>         Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
>         AllowOverride None
>         Order deny,allow
>         Deny from all
>         Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128