Re: RAID5 config / boot problem

Hey Alvin,

> if files/directories disappeared..
>
> a) your raid is corrupt in one or more ways
> b) you do have backups before the corruptions started to show

I think what happened was that, because I didn't have a /home entry on
fstab, files I created in /home/cjb were actually on the / partition, but
once I mounted the array on /home, it couldn't see the files on /, and was
looking at the clean array instead. Presumably if I umount the array those
files will be visible again.

> you can get around all of the above by simply using your own custom
> kernel with built in drivers for that sata controller
> 	- modules is for job security for those that want to
> 	build up hours to help corps debug systems that wont boot :-)

So I just need to make myself a new kernel with those drivers in? Makes
sense, because IIRC it tried to activate the array before the fsck, so
that would actually work if the drivers were in.
I'm going to be away from the machine for a few days, but I'll try that
next week and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again for your help!
James