Re: Removing Exim 4 from Sarge

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 13:46 +0000, Brad Stockdale wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>    I'm currently working on a project to build up a new mail server. I want to
> use Exim as the MTA, but I would like to compile it from source instead of
> using the exim-whatever packages that have been installed by default.
>
>    What I would like to know is what is the best way to remove the
> preinstalled binary of Exim so that I can download the source and compile it
> manually? When I try to remove it through aptitude, it wants to remove all
> the packages dependant upon it which I don't want to do since I will be
> installing another copy of Exim anyway.

in "the debian system" book by krafft there is about 7 pages talking
about modifying packages from debian source packages. some highlights
from the section:

# apt-get source --download-only <package name>
# apt-get install build-essential fakeroot
# apt-get build-dep <package name>

there are much more, but i dont want to type them all in... sorry.

but if you think this is the direction you want to go, i'd suggest
getting the book.

-matt zagrabelny