Re: USB flash drive not automounting or mounting

Marc Shapiro wrote:

[...]

I have a system with a fresh Debian install with KDE.  It wants to
automount things.  I'm hoping I can correct this behaviour.  Here are
the problems that I am having:

Data CDs will automount, but sometimes take so long to do so that I
click on the icon again.  I then end up with about a dozen konqueror
windows open on the CD's directory. Then, the CD WILL NOT unmount. If
I try to manually unmount it I get an error saying only root can do
that.  OK, I su to root and try again.  Then it insists that the CD is
busy.  There is nothing using the CD and I HAVE NOT cd'd to /cdrom. The
only way to unmount and eject the CD is to 'killall kdeinit'.

lsof -w /media/hdc
(or whatever your mount point is) should tell you which process is
blocking the drive. Often it is a KIO slave which can be killed without
interfering with the rest of the system. The "only root can do that"
error might indicate a problem with etc/fstab. The package "pmount" can
be used to mount/unmount pluggable devices without having to worry about
the entries in fstab.

[...]

Is it possible to tell KDE NOT to automount anything?  I am quite happy
with commandline mount and umount commands.  They just work and I know
the state of my filesystems.  I use fvwm on my own box, but this one
will be for my 5 year old daughter, and since it came with KDE, I
thought that it would be easier for her if I just left it that way and
put icons on the desktop for those programs that I want her to have easy
access to.  There will be no need for removable devices on a regular
basis, and if there is I can mount it myself, as needed.

If you want to get rid of the icons on the desktop, you can uncheck the
corresponding option(s) in "K-menu > Control Center > Desktop > Behavior
 > Device Icons". The default actions for different types pluggable
media can be set to "Do Nothing" in "K-menu > Control Center >
Peripherals > Storage Media". If you want to disable the media notifier
daemon, then see "K-menu > Control Center > KDE Components > Service
Manager".

Regards,
           Florian