Re: USB flash drive not automounting or mounting

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 01:30:01PM -0800, Rob Blomquist wrote:

<much silliness deleted>

> Ok from all this, I wonder if the drive is corrupt. It is connected. Why can't
> I manually mount it?

Because you're trying to mount the block device, rather than a partition on
it.  Example:

rei $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdf

Disk /dev/sdf: 519 MB, 519569408 bytes
129 heads, 32 sectors/track, 245 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4128 * 512 = 2113536 bytes

/dev/sdf1               1         246      507376    4  FAT16 <32M
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(249, 128, 32) logical=(245, 106, 32)

rei $ mount | grep sdf
/dev/sdf1 on /mnt/usbstick type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=mwilson)

> Why doesn't something try to automount it for me?

What would this "something" be?  Have you installed something that would do
that for you?  Are you using a recent Gnome or KDE that would do that by
default?  No, I don't know in what version Gnome started doing that... I
don't use Gnome.  Nor KDE, for that matter.

IMHO automount is an incredibly broken behavior.  Gnome users swear that
it's desirable, though.  Your mileage may vary.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Show your affection, which will probably meet with
 msw@cox.net |     pleasant response.