Re: network logs: trace strange address

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:19:14 -0400
BTP <smokefat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Router DHCP clients list shows only the two correct computers, but it
> is configured for a maximum of 50 such clients.

well, if you only need 2 clients, then set it thus as its relatively easy to fix it later.

> The thing I'm worried about, is that if someone has already
> compromised my debian system, they would have access to my router
> login information as well when I went to administer it sometime ago.
> So, someone could basically reverted my system back to normal and
> maintained my router login info.

well, that would be a problem. how far back do these mystery entries appear? are they on-going?  there is another thread ongoing called "Is my system compromised" with lots of good advice. If you think you're compromised, get that thing off the net before it causes more problems and get it cleaned up!