Re: USB flash drive not automounting or mounting

On Sunday 05 February 2006 3:13 pm, Marc Wilson so eloquently stated:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 01:30:01PM -0800, Rob Blomquist wrote:
>
> <much silliness deleted>
>
> > Ok from all this, I wonder if the drive is corrupt. It is connected. Why
> > can't I manually mount it?
>
> Because you're trying to mount the block device, rather than a partition on
> it.  Example:
>
> rei $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdf
>
> Disk /dev/sdf: 519 MB, 519569408 bytes
> 129 heads, 32 sectors/track, 245 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 4128 * 512 = 2113536 bytes

OK, I know what you mean about mounting the block device, I tried sdb0, 1, and
2, but got no response before I emailed.

timmy:~# dmesg | tail
usb 3-5: new high speed USB device using address 32
  Vendor: PNY       Model: USB 2.0 FD        Rev: 1.13
SCSI device sdb: 487424 512-byte hdwr sectors (250 MB)
sdb: assuming Write Enabled
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
 /dev/scsi/host7/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi7, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
USB Mass Storage device found at 32

So it is still there, and let me find out what it responds to:

timmy:~# fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 249 MB, 249561088 bytes
16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 952 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes

/dev/sdb1   *           1         952      243696    6  FAT16

Ah, so it is vfat on sdb1! no sweat!

timmy:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/flash
mount: special device /dev/sdb1 does not exist

Now this is silly!

Is it still there?

timmy:~# fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 249 MB, 249561088 bytes
16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 952 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes

/dev/sdb1   *           1         952      243696    6  FAT16

I will be darned. Still there, but mount can't find it!

>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdf1               1         246      507376    4  FAT16 <32M
> Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
>      phys=(249, 128, 32) logical=(245, 106, 32)
>
> rei $ mount | grep sdf
> /dev/sdf1 on /mnt/usbstick type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=mwilson)
>
> > Why doesn't something try to automount it for me?
>
> What would this "something" be?  Have you installed something that would do
> that for you?  Are you using a recent Gnome or KDE that would do that by
> default?  No, I don't know in what version Gnome started doing that... I
> don't use Gnome.  Nor KDE, for that matter.

Yes, that something is automount. Under Mandriva and Ubuntu, it seems to be
working quite well, especially for flash drives. I find it more of a pain  to
deal with for USB drives, to find out what block device it is then mount it
if it could have a static device for each usb drive, well that would be one
thing, and I would be fine mounting and unmounting them like CDROMs.

I have been quite confused with the changes to USB that the 2.6 kernel gives.

Is automount available for Debian?

Rob
--
Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA