Re: USB flash drive not automounting or mounting

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:30:01 -0800
Rob Blomquist <rob.blomquist@verizon.net> wrote:

> [...]
> Rev: 1.13
> Feb  5 13:16:31 localhost kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access
> ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Feb  5 13:16:31 localhost kernel: SCSI device sdb: 487424 512-byte hdwr
> sectors(250 MB)
> Feb  5 13:16:31 localhost kernel: sdb: assuming Write Enabled
> Feb  5 13:16:31 localhost kernel:  /dev/scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
> Feb  5 13:16:31 localhost kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi6,
> channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>
> And that's where it ends. I would think that something should now pick it up
> and automount it. Let me try to mount it:
> # mount -t vfat /dev/sdb /media/flash
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb,
>        missing codepage or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so
>
> # dmesg | tail
> usb 3-5: new high speed USB device using address 31
> scsi6 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>   Vendor: PNY       Model: USB 2.0 FD        Rev: 1.13
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> SCSI device sdb: 487424 512-byte hdwr sectors (250 MB)
> sdb: assuming Write Enabled
> sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
>  /dev/scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
> Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi6, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> USB Mass Storage device found at 31
>
> # mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb /media/flash
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb,
>        missing codepage or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so
>
> # dmesg | tail
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> SCSI device sdb: 487424 512-byte hdwr sectors (250 MB)
> sdb: assuming Write Enabled
> sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
>  /dev/scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
> Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi6, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> USB Mass Storage device found at 31
> NTFS-fs error (device sdb): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Primary boot sector is
> invalid.
> NTFS-fs error (device sdb): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Mount option
> errors=recover not used. Aborting without trying to recover.
> NTFS-fs error (device sdb): ntfs_fill_super(): Not an NTFS volume.
>
> Now, just for yucks I added the following line to /etc/fstab:
> /dev/sdb       /media/flash     auto    rw,user,noauto 0 0
>
> #mount /dev/sdb
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> Here's lsmod again just to compare:
> # lsmod| grep usb
> usb_storage            69056  0
> usbserial              29896  1 visor
> usbhid                 32224  0
> usbcore               118980  8
> usb_storage,visor,usbserial,usbhid,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
> ide_core              139940  5
> usb_storage,ide_cd,ide_generic,ide_disk,amd74xx
> scsi_mod              125228  3 usb_storage,sd_mod,libata

Ummm... is it formatted?

> Ok from all this, I wonder if the drive is corrupt. It is connected. Why can't
> I manually mount it?

maybe its not formatted?

 I don't know. Why doesn't something try to automount it
> for me?

because nothing is configured to automount it for you?

> Beyond this, I know not what to do other than to try it on another computer.
> Your suggestions would be appreciated.

well trying another machine would certainly provide so insight as to whether the problem is realted to the media or the machine.