vi trying to connect to X

Hi there.  I'm tried to get used to vi as an editor since it is found on
nearly every Unix and Unix-like system and I've heard that those who are
proficient at it are able to edit files faster than using any other editor.

I'm running KDE and use Konsole but everytime I invoke vi from Konsole, I get
the following:

Xlib: No protocol specified

Xlib: No protocol specified

Xlib: No protocol specified

It appears that it is trying to connect to the X server?  Why is that and how
do I fix it?

- Anthony