Re: Backing up Windows using rsync

TAC Forums wrote:
Hi

We just got a new requirement: To automated the backup of the all the data on the network with the option of being able to retrieve/restore a file upto any 7 days.

Current Setup: - 14 Windows workstations - 45 GB
- 1 Linux server (Redhat). - 80 GB
Total Backup: 125 GB (Max would grow to 200 GB in the next 2-3 years)

[...]

This would mean I'd need the Debian server storage capacity would need to be at least 200 GB x 7 = 1.4 TB.

Question: Is there a better way to do what I'm doing? And is there already a piece of software that exists on the NET that does what I'm doing better and I should trying to re-invent the wheel? :-)

Any ideas / tips are most welcome.

There are tools which are better suited for your purpose than rsync, for
example dump, flexbackup and amanda. One possible approach would be to
make a full backup every Sunday and to make incremental backups (of only
the files which changed) on each of the remaining days. Also, data
compression for the backups can be used to save space on the server.
(You will of course have to keep all backups of one week around until
you do not need any of them anymore, but with incremental backups and
compression that should still be a lot less than 7 x 200 GB.)

I don't know how well these solutions work together with Windows, but I
guess you could always run them on your server and have them pull the
data from SMB-shares of the Windows clients.

Regards,
           Florian