Re: use stable/unstable source at the same time

On 2006-02-03, John Halton <johnhalton@gmail.com> wrote:

> My understanding was that if you have more than two repositories then
> it is better to use pinning, using /etc/apt/preferences, so you can
> set different priorities for each of the non-default releases.
>
> The exact configuration then depends on which of the three
> repositories you want to prioritise - i.e. do you want to track stable
> but having testing/unstable packages available, or do you want to
> track testing or unstable.

I think that's what I'm doing with this line in apt.conf:
  APT::Default-Release "testing";
so `aptitude install foo` will install the testing version by default,
but if I specifically want something else I can use options to get
what I want.  (I have a big preferences file but it's entirely
produced by apt-listbugs.)

I would like to take this opportunity to ask for clarification about
something.  Given my apt.conf line above, is the difference between
these
(1)  aptitude install foo/unstable
(2)  aptitude -t unstable install foo
that (1) will get the unstable version of foo but the testing versions
of any unsatisfied dependencies, whereas (2) will get the unstable
versions of foo's dependencies and foo itself?

Thanks,
Adam