Re: Backing up Windows using rsync

hi,

I was planing to use rsync with SSH on Windows and the Linux server and schedule the script to copy the files/folders to a Debian based Linux server in the following folder structure:

/backup/Monday/server
/backup/Monday/ws01
/backup/Monday/ws02
/backup/Monday/ws03
.
.
/backup/Tuesday/server
/backup/Tuesday/ws01
/backup/Tuesday/ws02
/backup/Tuesday/ws03
.
.

This would mean I'd need the Debian server storage capacity would need to be at least 200 GB x 7 = 1.4 TB.

Question: Is there a better way to do what I'm doing? And is there already a piece of software that exists on the NET that does what I'm doing better and I should trying to re-invent the wheel? :-)
well, you might try to use the incremental backup as described for example here:
http://www.sanitarium.net/golug/rsync_backups.html
i use that setup on my computers. if you have big fluctuations in your data you would still need a lot of space, however probably less than 1.4TB. only in the case that the backup contains completely different data every day you would need those full 1.4tb.

also, you could put the storage to LVM and eventually add more disks when they are needed (ideally set it up like raid1 + lvm).

regards,

--
Lubos
_@_"