SOLVED: Should I have apache and apache 2 installed?

Thanks everyone. This fixed the locales and php problem I had too.

 I did a purch of apache and kept apache2 but still had problems so I shut down the computer and went to bed. When I woke up and fired up the machine, Everything seemed to work! directing my browser to localhost resolved to the apache web page, the link to the documentation worked, locales in english and all. I also ran my test.php and it displayed all the php info.

I thought I'd restarted apache when working on it last night. I'll have to do some more digging on that one.

So I have to do some more probing, but hopefully I can go forward now and do some real work.

Thanks again,

On 2/2/06, Simo Kauppi <swk@nic.fi> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 08:41:11PM -0700, Ed Young wrote:
> It seems that the apache and apache installation has several problems.
>
> I did a new install of Sarg (Debian 3.1r1) and chose as one of the install
> options a web server. It installed apache, apache2,etc and I added
> apache-doc but it seems like the installation has problems. I'm unable to
> see the apache documentation and it seems to be favoring the German
> index.html.de files without actually displaying the html. It is only text.

First of all, if you don't need both apache and apache2 installed,
choose one of them and purge the other one.

index.html.de needs the Content Negotiation on, so it shows as a html
file in your browser. You also need to set the preferred language in
your browser, so it chooses the language you prefer.

For apache2 the main configuration file is /etc/apache2/apache2.conf.
Read the apache documentation e.g. at http://www.apache.org/ how to
configure the languages and the negotiation, if they don't work out of
the box.

> Thanks.

Simo
--