Re: Problem with X.org in Sid (sis card)

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 04:09:24AM -0500, David R. Litwin wrote:
>On 26/01/06, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
>>
>> My X freezes up every now and then, forcing me to power-cycle. I'm
>> suspecting a problem with X, but I'm not sure.
>>
>> Hardware:
>>
>> % lspci|grep VGA
>> 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
>> 661/741/760/761 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
>>
>> It doesn't really happen regularly. I don't keep my computer on always,
>> usually I turn it on and sit for a while then turning it off when I'm
>> done. It usually happens once per "session". Sometimes twice. It's
>> happened three times for the first time today.
>>
>> My X.org config for the card:
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>          Identifier      "Card"
>>          Driver          "sis"
>>          BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
>>          Option          "HWCursor" "on"
>>   EndSection
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to solve it?
>>
>> /M
>
>I may be butting in. If so, I apologise.

No worries. Feel free to but in anytime ;-)

>Might I ask if you use a PC or laptop, the kernel version Debian
>version, Desktop environment and, if a laptop, if you use madwifi?

I'ts a desktop. No wifi at all (sadly enough I hardly have any network
at all, thanks goes out to BT for being lazy bastards!).

>The reason I ask (aside from helping others diagnose the problem) is
>that I think I have the same problem. My computer will suddenly start
>to think a lot, rendering every thing un-usable (I can BARELY switch to
>a new console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and reboot: usually (and I mean every time
>save the last)), I have to hit the button.

I think you're having a different problem since I don't recognize any of
the symptoms. My computer is idling along happily ignoring my keyboard.

>I too thought it was X. Now, I think it might be madwifi.

How does it behave when you remove the support for wifi?
Does it slow down also when X isn't running?

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again
and expecting different results.
     -- Albert Einstein