Re: ReactOS (was windows desktop under linux)

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:28:14 +0200
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> Qemu with ReactOS is either installing to/saving to its disk image file or
> simply to ram-disk like knoppix does. A second, empty disk image can be
> created as the "D" drive as well. I have had this work running Knoppix
> through qemu.

I downloaded the disk image and looks like it is only about 200 MB. I
have not investigated whether you can expand the disk image. If you
can make the disk image bigger the standard utilities (partition magic,
qtparted, etc..) should work to expand the size of the partition.

> As for the speed, even the mouse lagged way-way behind.

That is to be expected to some degree. Probably doesn't help that
ReactOS is only an alpha level project and is a bit flakey.

> Some more questions:
> 1. I wonder if the qemu off Sid has kqemu support enabled or if I need to
> compile qemu as well.

Kqemu is not open source and has restrictions on redistrobution that
make it doubtful or maybe even impossible (it's been a while since I
looked at it).

If you 'apt-get source qemu' and add kqemu to the source directory and
do dpkg-buildpackage I think the resulting package will then include
kqemu. You might have to look at the qemusourcedirectory/debian/control
file for a place where options are specified and change the options.

> 2. The reactOS is (can be if I can get it to compile correctly) compiled for
> linux. Should I not be able to run it directly rather than through qemu?

Can you run any of the BSDs or BeOS on Linux without a virtual machine
emulator? I think not.

If you want something that runs natively use Wine. ReactOS is intended
to be a complete OS in it's own right, just because it shares a lot of
code with Wine does not mean it can be compiled to run natively.

> 3. How might I make a disk image of my real windows partitions and boot that
> under qemu?

dd if=/dev/hdXX of=winXX.img

I think you can use this image directly, but if not you can create a
disk image and use a CD or ISO of one of the Live linux distrobutions
in a Qemu session to partition the disk image and copy the file from
your home directory to /dev/hda1 device in the Qemu session. I haven't
deleved into sharing files with the Qemu session, but one of the
options (I think -net user) is supposed to make your home directory
available as a network share.

Later, Seeker