Re: How to minimize /dev (using udev)?

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 07:17:03PM -0500, Marty wrote:
>Tony Godshall wrote:
>>According to Marty,
>
>>>Did you delete the old /dev directory?  Maybe udev keeps what's already
>>>there.
>>they get put in /dev/.static
>
>So they do.  I guess that's not the problem.
>
>Oddly, I have another Sarge system using udev which doesn't have a
>/dev/.static directory.  I don't know if there's a correlation, but
>unlike my other Sarge systems, it has a huge number of devices (1642).
>I compared all the files in /dev/udev and see no significant
>differences.

I'm on a Sid system. IIRC older versions of udev would put away the
original device nodes in a different place. I'm sure you'll find them in
under /dev somewhere. Check the contents of "hidden" directories in
/dev.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Good powers of observation are frequently called "cynicism" by those
that don't have them.