Re: Problem with X.org in Sid (sis card)

On 26/01/06, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
My X freezes up every now and then, forcing me to power-cycle. I'm
suspecting a problem with X, but I'm not sure.

Hardware:

% lspci|grep VGA
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760/761 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter

It doesn't really happen regularly. I don't keep my computer on always,
usually I turn it on and sit for a while then turning it off when I'm
done. It usually happens once per "session". Sometimes twice. It's
happened three times for the first time today.

My X.org config for the card:

Section "Device"
         Identifier      "Card"
         Driver          "sis"
         BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
         Option          "HWCursor" "on"
  EndSection

Any suggestions on how to solve it?

/M

I may be butting in. If so, I apologise.

Might I ask if you use a PC or laptop, the kernel version Debian version, Desktop environment and, if a laptop, if you use madwifi?

The reason I ask (aside from helping others diagnose the problem) is that I think I have the same problem. My computer will suddenly start to think a lot, rendering every thing un-usable (I can BARELY switch to a new console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and reboot: usually (and I mean every time save the last)), I have to hit the button.

I too thought it was X. Now, I think it might be madwifi.

Toshiba A70 laptop, linux-image-2.6.15-1-686-smp, Sid, madwifi-ng, Xorg and KDE 3.5.

Thank you!

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.