Re: syntax of the menu

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 12:46:40PM +0100, Cedric BRINER wrote:
>> >I'd like to add a menu in the gnome panel (where there is already: Accessories, Graphics, Internet ...).
>> >I've read the man menufile and file:///usr/share/doc/menu/html/index.html. But I can't find how to do this?
>> >
>> >the syntax that I've used is:
>> >cat /usr/lib/menu/ugmenu
>> >?package(ugmenu):section="Unige" \
>> >  needs="X11" \
>> >  title="matlab v6.5p1" \
>> >  command="/net/cuilxc/export/unige/matlab_6.5p1/bin/matlab" \
>> >  icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/matlab.png"
>> >
>> >I've tried also '/Unige' for the section value, but without success.
>> >
>> >any hint on how to do this ?
>>
>> It looks like you're trying to get your app into the Debian menu system.
>> AFAIK it won't be possible to put it in the place you want it, it'll end
>> up under a 'Debian'.
>>
>> Have you tried using 'alacarte'?
>no..
>but I was trying to do an attempt to automatize the menu's generation by scanning some warehouses which holds applications. This warehouse hold application ala /opt: eg: firefox_1.5, firefox_1.6, matlab_1.7
>
>okay I'll have a look at http://www.realistanew.com/projects/alacarte/.

You might also want to take a look at the freedsektop menu spec:
 http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fmenu_2dspec

AFAIK it's what's used in GNOME's menu system.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Unreadable code,
Why would anyone use it?
Learn a better way.
     -- Geoff Kuenning's contribution to the 2004 Perl Haiku Contest,
        Haikus about Perl - 'Dishonerable Mention' winner