Re: Automating Dial-up

Tyson Varosyan wrote:
Hi all,

I posted on this before, but something is not working out for me. Please
help.

What I am trying to do: I would like my box to dial-up on it's own when it
is turned on without my having to log in.

What I have done:

nano -w /etc/init.d/startwvdial

into the file I type in:

wvdial verizon # (This command works for me when I am logged in to dial up using my verizon
connection.)

update-rc.d startwvdial defaults

This is what happens on bootup:

/etc/init.d/rc: line 30: /etc/rc2.d/S20startwvdial: Permission Denied

I am VERY new to Linux, so please make the instructions as detailed as
possible. I am not opposed to using pppd ether, if that makes things easier.

Too complicated: /etc/network/interfaces can contain:

----------------------
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
#the comments with ## were set hvw 10/18/2004
auto ppp0
#iface logical-interface address-family name-of-method
#method ppp uses pon/poff
iface ppp0 inet ppp
pre-up iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.up.rules

and pppd will dial whatever you setup in pppconfig.

I select dialup or not voa boot cmdline.