Re: Appletalk Starting and Failing during Sarge Boot

Chinook wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

My girlfriend runs Sarge on Intel, and during boot, she sees the message
"Starting Appletalk, this may take a while" (or sth the like)

[snip]

If you see the message you note during bootup then you have netatalk installed. If you look in the process monitor you'll see at least the daemon afpd running and maybe a few others associated with netatalk for classic AppleTalk.

Anyway, netatalk is not part of the stock distribution (as far as i know - i had to install it) and you can just uninstall it.

Well, I went over to visit tonight, and did an

$ su -
<root password>
# apt-get remove netatalk

and it said that there was nothing that depended on it, and that
1.9MB would be deleted, so I told it to go away. Debian now boots
in about 1/3 of the time it used to take, and no annoying messages
come out.

I tried just to disable it as another suggested, but I couldn't get
the command to work. Perhaps root has some problem with its PATH
variable.

Anyway, no more problems!

Thanks! (from both of us)

Mike