Re: Appletalk Starting and Failing during Sarge Boot

Almut Behrens wrote:
On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 05:21:57AM -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:

Chinook wrote:

[uninstall netatalk, possibly task-howl, howl-tools, and mdnsresponder]

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll go to her machine and
try to figure out how to uninstall.

or better even, let her do it herself...  You never know, maybe she'd
find out she enjoys that kinda thing?  But then again, I certainly
wouldn't want to get you to mess with the established roles in your
relationship -- it's just that sometimes, we gals like to take care
of our own stuff... :)

Cheers,
Almut

I'm very aware of that. The way we met was she ran a BBS back
in the days before the internet (1995). I was one of her users. So,
yes, she has a little technical streak. So I'm not showing
some kind of predisposition to run her computer for her.

In fact, she kept getting frustrated with Windows, and we struggled
to get XP on her machine since NT has had support withdrawn, and
finally gave it up as a bad deal. I suggested she give Linux another
try (she had tried RH 6.1 and didn't like it). So I got and burned
several (like a dozen) different LiveCDs for her to try (I did it
for her because I volunteered, and besides her machine was down).
When she settled on Knoppix and Kanotix as being closest to what
she wanted, I downloaded/burnt her a Debian net install CD, and watched
over her shoulder while she did it herself.

So, I don't interfere where I'm not wanted. In fact,
she'd paste me one if I tried to interfere when she
didn't want me to.

OTOH...

Sometimes she needs a little supervision due to easy frustration,
and sometimes going a little "over". And she knows this, too.

I recall one day going over to visit, and finding
her sitting on the floor with a man friend of hers. She is more
technical than he is, and he used to go to her for help. Well,
she had his machine disassembled, and had a new floppy disc drive
in her lap, and was prising on the case with a screwdriver.
I asked what she was doing, and she said she was trying to get
the new drive out of its case. So I asked what she was trying
to accomplish, and got an exasperated repeat that she was
trying to get the @#$% floppy out of its case. So I asked
"But, what is the *goal*?" His machine was having problems with
the floppy disc drive, and so they wanted to replace it. But
it was a Compaq, which needed a special drive, and so the one
she bought wouldn't fit, and she was trying to get it out of
its case and... I asked had they tried simply cleaning
the old drive, and she said "No", and then looked thoughtful.
I picked up the old drive from the machine, and blew into it.
A huge piece of fluff flew out. After that, we reconnected
everything (outside the case, still) and booted it up. The
old drive worked perfectly. Another 10 minutes, and everything
was back together.

So, as I said, she's technically inclined, and not afraid to
get in with the nitty gritty, but sometimes she needs a little
supervision, and judicious intervention. This is one time.
Not because she couldn't do it, but because she's already
frustrated with this particular job.

:-)

And I'll just bet that you are one "gal" who really likes that
stuff, too. That's what first attracted me to her. We finally met
(like after a year of knowing each other via "user chats" with
the sysop) at a "user's party", and I found out that she's not just an
intelligent brain, but good looking, too! We parted after that,
but four years later (1999), we got together.

:-)

(BTW, I like those terms like "gal", and I'm pleased to see
that there are still women who are secure enough in themselves
to use them. I live in the South [Texas] and there are
women here who call all men "honey". I like that kind
of homeyness and friendliness. I think everyone finds
confidence attractive. Unfortunately, men can't do that
to women any more.)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.

You have found the bank of Larn.