Appletalk Starting and Failing during Sarge Boot

My girlfriend runs Sarge on Intel, and during boot, she sees the message
"Starting Appletalk, this may take a while" (or sth the like)
followed by messages about timeouts for a couple of minutes,
before the boot proceeds. During the rest of the boot, until
X starts up and she gets the login dialogue box, these timeout
messages continue to come out.

What is there that we can do to stop this (she doesn't own a Mac,
nor does she have any interest in owning one)? It delays boot
quite a bit.

Thanks for your time.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.