Re: Font size discrepancy

Lei Kong wrote:

> The actuall font size is smaller when starting kde from  command line,
> than the kde font size when started from kdm.  I am running debian
> testing on my thinkpad z60t, and the font I am using is Bitstream Vera
> Sans.

> I noticed there is no difference in the console font size, which
> is bitmap font, if I remember correctly.

> My guess is the system resolution is different in two cases,
> I mean the DPI thing, but I have no clue why they are different.

> Can someone tell me how to correct this?

The issues and help links at

and

are relevant to your problem. Startx or startkde and kdm are apparently
specifying ether different dpi values, or one is specifying none at all.
You need to figure out which is coming closest to correct, then adjust
as necessary as spelled out by the links in those two list posts to get
your dpi suitably set before adjusting anything else. This may mean
removing all instances of '-dpi ###' from files in your /etc tree.
Usually (you didn't say which Debian you use) using either Xft.dpi
and/or DisplaySize in a config file is/are a better solution than -dpi
in a startup file.
--
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord."        Psalm 33:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409