Re: Sharing Linux printer with Mac

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:37:30 -0500
Chinook <chinook.nr@tds.net> wrote:

> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:01:53 -0500
> > Chinook <chinook.nr@tds.net> wrote:

> >> The text file is at:
> >>  http://homepage.mac.com/lee_cullens/COPYOFcupsd.conf
> >>

> > a couple things I saw that may matter, maybe not.
> >
> > 1) turn up your logging on at least the linux side if not the mac
> > side jsut to see what is happening. you're currently set at info.
> > tail the log on linux side so you can watch what happens when the
> > mac tries to connect.
>
> I hadn't got to that point yet because I apparently don't have a
> connection to look at the logs for - am I wrong?
>
> > 2) the list two include lines:
> >
> > # Include files in /etc/cups/conf.d
> > Include /etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf
> > Include /etc/cups/cups.d/browse.conf
> >
> > have you looked at those to make sure there is no conflict?
>
> They're just flag status files - both one-liners.
> The first contains "Listen localhost:631"
> The second contains "Browsing on"
>
> It seems to me the first is a further clue that CUPS on my Linux box
> isn't listening to anything but localhost, unless I'm misinterpreting
> it.

That's probably it! That ports.conf file appears to be the only place
you tell it what ips/ports to listen on. Change the "Listen
localhost:631" line in ports.conf to "Listen 631" - this will tell it
to listen on port 631 on any ip addresses associated with that
computer.

You can also delete the Include line for browse.conf - it's a duplicate
of a setting you specified elsewhere in cupsd.conf.

Then run "/etc/init.d/cupsys restart" and see if your Mac is able to
print any better. If not, enable debugging for the logs and see if the
logs make any mention of printing attempts from the Mac.

HTH,
Jacob