Re: Sharing Linux printer with Mac

Joseph Haig wrote:
--- Chinook <chinook.nr@tds.net> wrote:

A recap and progress update so anyone interested can get a quicker
picture:

<Snip>

I'm coming into this discussion rather late, so apologies if my
suggestion has been tried and/or rejected already.

I found that putting the line:

BrowsePoll 192.168.0.2:631

into the cupsd.conf file made the machine, either Mac or Linux, able to
see all printers on the machine 192.168.0.2.  The cupsd.conf file for
the machine with the printer connected needs:

BrowseAllow From 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

I too was frustrated to find that Mac's fancy gui front-end to
everything didn't seem to have any way of setting this, or even any
suggestion of 'proper' way to use printers on a UNIX network.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Sorry I didn't to respond to this earlier Joe,

I'm not having any problem "seeing" the Linux printer from my Mac. It shows up in the CUPS interface and app print dialog on my Mac. In fact adding either or both of your suggestions prevents me from "seeing" the printer, so I left the cupsd.conf browsing options alone to accept defaults there.

As I understand it, browsing (i.e. seeing) and selecting (i.e. using) are two different things. I can see the d@mn thing, but I can't print to it.

As I (hopefully) explained in my later update, trying to print from my Mac to the printer I "see" on the Linux box gives me the error "can not resolve debian1" or "can not resolve 192.168.2.48" whichever I use. If I set up a printer on my Mac pointed at the Linux printer and try to use it, then it just sets there with the message "192.168.2.48 is busy - will try again in 30 seconds."

This despite including the Allow suggestion from Wackojacko.

Both your suggestions were appreciated :-)

What is BUGGING the heck out of me is where Jacob zeroed in on the irregularity I see. Doing a port scan from my Linux box to my Mac I see port 631 open for ipp, but doing the reverse I do not!!! I have ruled out a firewall issue on both the Mac and router, and if there is one on my Linux box (I didn't specifically install one yet) I wish someone would tell me where to look?

I see it (as blind as I am) as an issue with Mac OS X and/or Apple's tinkered CUPS there, and/or threading my way through the labyrinth of CUPS configuration on my Linux box.

Like Jacob I can "see" the Linux printer, but unlike him I can't print to the #@%@## thing. Maybe Jacob and I can share a few more details so I can narrow the issue - pretty please?

Thank you-all for your patience - you can't be anymore annoyed than I am :-)
Lee C