Re: Sharing Linux printer with Mac

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:09:05 -0500
Chinook <chinook.nr@tds.net> wrote:

<snip>
> I'm not having any problem "seeing" the Linux printer from my Mac.
> It shows up in the CUPS interface and app print dialog on my Mac.  In
> fact adding either or both of your suggestions prevents me from
> "seeing" the printer,  so I left the cupsd.conf  browsing options
> alone to accept defaults there.
>

> As I understand it, browsing (i.e. seeing) and selecting (i.e. using)
> are two different things.  I can see the d@mn thing, but I can't
> print to it.

Yes, it definitely appears that way. With the Browse command you can
tell it to announce itself to one subnet while Listen tells it to only
listen on another subnet. Can you copy/paste all of the Browse and
Listen arguments you have in your cupsd.conf?

> As I (hopefully) explained in my later update, trying to print from
> my Mac to the printer I "see" on the Linux box gives me the error
> "can not resolve debian1" or "can not resolve 192.168.2.48" whichever
> I use.   If I set up a printer on my Mac pointed at the Linux printer
> and try to use it, then it just sets there with the message
> "192.168.2.48 is busy - will try again in 30 seconds."

When you point it to 192.168.2.48, I am assuming that means you added
the printer to your list of printers manually? And you're doing this
through http://localhost:631 in your browser, right? Are you pointing
it to ipp://debian1/ipp/printer_name or
ipp://debian1/printers/printer_name? The cups examples all show
hostname/ipp/printer_name, but I have only gotten it to work using
hostname/printers/printer_name so far. I am not sure exactly where the
Mac points and haven't bothered to check it out, since it "just works".

> This despite including the Allow suggestion from Wackojacko.
>

> Both your suggestions were appreciated :-)
>

> What is BUGGING the heck out of me is where Jacob zeroed in on the
> irregularity I see.  Doing a port scan from my Linux box to my Mac I
> see port 631 open for ipp, but doing the reverse I do not!!!  I have
> ruled out a firewall issue on both the Mac and router, and if there
> is one on my Linux box (I didn't specifically install one yet) I wish
> someone would tell me where to look?

What do you see when you run "telnet localhost 631" on the Linux
computer? Now try running "telnet 192.168.2.48 631" on your Linux
computer (assuming '2.48 is the ip of the Linux computer).

On my computer I see the following when running those commands:
$ telnet localhost 631
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.

$ telnet 192.168.35.10 631
Trying 192.168.35.10...
Connected to 192.168.35.10.
Escape character is '^]'.

> I see it (as blind as I am) as an issue with Mac OS X and/or Apple's
> tinkered CUPS there,  and/or threading my way through the labyrinth
> of CUPS configuration on my Linux box.

So far the only abnormality I found in the web interface side of OS X's
cups is that they had a fairly limited supply of HP drivers. But that
was no longer an issue once I enabled browsing on the Linux print
server.

HTH,
Jacob