Re: who is r/w-ing my hdd?

On 1/17/06, Andrei Popescu <andreimp@rdslink.ro> wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2006 01:15:05 -0800
> "David A." <achoice@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I realy want a quiet PC in my bedroom. My experience is that journaling
> > file systems generate mor disc activity than ext2 for example.
> >
> > I run ext2 and noflushd and it works rather OK. Logfiles spin it up say
> > once every hour. I believe demand for "quiet pc's" is raising, and
> > minimising disc activity is one factor.
> >
> > >From http://noflushd.sourceforge.net/ "Journaling filesystems like
> > ext3, reiserfs or xfs bypass the kernel's delayed write mechanisms.
> > This amounts to lousy spindown times when working off such a partition.
> > There's no workaround for this."
> >
> > regards, David.
> From 'aptitude show cpudyn'
> [quote]
> ... and can put the computer disks in standby mode if a given period
>  has passed without any I/O operation. It works well even with journaled file
>  systems such as Ext3, XFS, or ReiserFS. Even supports the new interface for
>  kernels 2.6.x
> [end quote]
>
> It works well for me, though i had to turn of sysklod...
>
> Andrei
> --
> If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)

the script 'laptop_mode' is probably what you want to use.  when i
enable laptop_mode via the script, i get a value of '2' for
/proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode.  I've no idea how this differs from a value
of '1', however.

here's the package info, as the seach is down:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/utils/laptop-mode-tools

configure via /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf

there are many settings to tweak, like hdd read ahead, time between
writes, remounting of filesystems, and a whole lot more.

you shouldn't need to run anything like noflushd with this enabled.

--
Noah Dain
"Single failures can occur for a variety of reasons that have nothing