desktop environment removal

I'm using a screen reader on debian sarge current release and must have provided some incorrect information when installing the debian desktop environment packages. Whenever gdm starts it just beeps and attempting to do a login just gets a beep with no other indication of success. When I use gnome, I'm going to install and run festival and gnopernicus for speech. Could someone who has gnome working and has a sound card that's also working do me a huge favor and install gnopernicus and festival and try running gnopernicus and see if you can get speech going over your sound card? If you can then it would be great to know I've got a more basic configuration issue over here but once solved the X environment will be able to talk some within debian. If you can't get it talking it woulldd be great to know that too along with whatever prevented that from happening because that will mean debian isn't accessible for X just quite yet and I'll be able to stop wasting time here trying to get that sorted out. I had to do control-alt-f1 to get a text console so I could use the computer and would prefer not to have to remove the desktop environment if a way exists where I can correct those mistaken answers to the configuration questions answered earlier while using the text mode. I think I found a gnomekeepscrashing..log file somewhere on this computer I could send to anyone interested in interpreting it.