Re: Should I Abandon Mutt and Exim4?

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 06:41:52PM -0500, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> 1) procmail -- I still don't properly understand how to write my own
>                recipes; all of mine are cut and paste or modified from cut
>                and paste

Have a look at the procmail-lib package.

> 2) exim4 w/ maildir -- This took some digging to figure out, but it's a
>                        matter of the line I mentioned in the previous post
>                        in the /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf and running
>                        update-exim4.conf && /etc/init.d/exim4 reload. The
>                        line is: dc_localdelivery='maildir_home'

Ahh! What happens if you don't have it, considering in
.muttrc:
	set mbox_type=Maildir

and/or in

.procmailrc:
	:0     # note - not :0: - no need for locking on maildir
	* ^Resent-Sender.*debian-user-request@lists.debian.org
	IN-debian-user/   # and note '/' after directory
	                  # for maildir

or does

	dc_localdelivery='maildir_home'

allow for no .procmailrc?

> 3) courier-imap auth -- I didn't want to use my login password for IMAP, so
>                         I used authuserdb. This just involved the userdb*
>                         commands from courier-imap and changing the
>                         /etc/courier/authdaemonrc to use authuserdb.
>
> 4) mutt config -- I copied someone else's and gradually customized it. I'm
>                   using m4 cleverness for mailing list subscriptions.
>
> 5) spamassassin user_prefs -- I shouldn't discount this, since I had
>                               developed it over the course of years on a
>                               system someone else administered, but it was
>                               incremental improvements.

Ummm ... spamassassin AND fetchmail?

Is not spamassassin only useful if you are operating a smarthost, which
if you are using fetchmail you won't be?

--
Chris.
======