Re: how do i downgrade to xfree86 on sid?

Joris Huizer wrote:

matt wrote:

hi all,

i can't really believe that i need to do this (i like xorg a lot) but i
need to downgrade to xfree in order to use a midified trident driver. since there are no xfree86 packages in the official repository, i can
only hope that they exist elsewhere...

so, how can i use xfree instead of xorg on sid?

Thanks,
+matt

In case this really turns out this is the way to go for you, you could install the xfree packages of sarge (current version: "4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge1")

I guess you may need to uninstall xorg before doing this, though maybe it is not strictly necessary

HTH,

Joris

Joris,

Thanks for the tip, I'm working on it right now, but was just wondering if you know of a "clean" way of doing this. currently, i'm planing on removing x-org related packages, editing my sources.list to point to sarge, then apt-get installing the xfree packages. however, when i apt-get upgrade with sid repositories later, xfree will be replaced with xorg due to the xserver-xorg transitional package.

so, is there a way to stop a certian package from being upgraded?

thanks,
Matt