Re: Is there a GPL substitute for RealPlayer?

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 02:11:31 -0800
Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Actually, I just tried xine.  So far, it has handled all file formats
> that I have thrown at it, including Real Media live streaming audio and

I miss xine. :(

I'm running testing/etch.

There are variants, such as totem, gxine of course, as well as mplayer
(which I compiled from source) but I haven't been able to play
everything. npr has been an issue, for one. I have realplayer of course
installed, but the others will from time to time complain about a
missing library (libcook.so). I recall encountering this problem before
when I was running Mandrake).

ISTR that having libcook was a big requirement to be able to play real
media audio or video.

Otherwise, mplayer seems to be the best thing in terms of being able
to play files (especially different types of video files), but what
seems to have happened to xine? It seems to be gone, having been
"replaced" (as far as I can tell) by gxine and/or totem, neither seem
to work well for playing most video files over here, although that has
not been entirely true in the past.

What I've been seeing with totem/gxine in particular are tons of X11
resource (i.e., BadAlloc, insufficient resources for operation) issues -
these also happen to come up from time to time with mplayer, but at
least with the latter you can specify -vo x11 as a parameter on the
command line. With the others, this does not seem to be possible.

The other thing I don't understand re: gxine is the need to run lirc.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.