Re: (solved)Re: how to convert 100 bmp files to jpeg?

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Serena Cantor wrote:

> Thank Brad Sawatzky,
> Star King of the Grape Trees,
> and cmetzler@speakeasy.net!!!

No problem.  I'm glad I could help.

> Does Linux have to be so hard to use?(The user has to
> be able to program in shell script or C or other)
> Without Brad, I'd rather download Photoshop which has
> a menu for batch convertion.

Linux isn't so bad, but it is different.  One of the design metaphors for
unix is to provide a bunch of small tools that the user can hook together
to do what s/he wants (ie. through shell scripting).  By literally adding
just a few more lines to that script I could have simultaneously done a
pattern-matched rename, moved them to a different folder, and uploaded them
all to my web site.  Once you get use to this way of doing things, you
really feel boxed in on platforms that take a different approach.

/gets off soapbox/  :-)

-- Brad