Re: Can't use dpkg (and thus apt-get et al.)

># dpkg-reconfigure debconf
>dpkg-query: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 359695
>package `dcgui':
> field name `
>/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: debconf is not installed
>
>But, when I apt-get install debconf
>
>debconf is already the newest version.
fsck?

I ran fsck. It is still corrupt.

Your /var/lib/dpkg/available is corrupt. You might have to remove
the offending lines. Just remember to save a copy somewhere before
making changes.

The file available.old has an uncorrupted copy. Shall I simply copy the good lines in to the file available and save it? The reason I've not yet done so is that it says it is a binary file and saving (or is it altering?) could do some bad things. But, if you think it is alright, I'll fix it.

Thank you kindly.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.