Re: kernel 2.4.* vs 2.6.* and ATAPI dvd question

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:17:50 -0400
Greg <unix@caribsurf.com> wrote:

> > Don't you think it would be more confusing to tell people that SCSI
> > emulation was built in to ide-cd. If you tell them that then they will
> > be expecting to have srX devices for their drives
>
> 1) I have symlinks:
> greg@uniq:~$ ls -l /dev/sr*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2006-01-11 13:52 /dev/sr0 ->
> scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2006-01-11 13:52 /dev/sr1 ->
> scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

I have not had any srX links since I started using a 2.6.X kernel and
stopped loading the ide-scsi module, so clearly there is no scsi
emulation here.

Since I upgraded to a DVD burner I have 3 links cdrom, dvd, and cdrw
all pointing to /dev/hdb.

If you actually have SCSI CD/CD-RW, DVD/DVD-RW drives then srX devices
will be created with 2.6 kernels because they actually are SCSI devices.

If you are using a 2.6.x kernel, have IDE CD types of drives, are not
hmmm, that is very interesting.

Later, Seeker