Re: kernel 2.4.* vs 2.6.* and ATAPI dvd question

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:32:17 -0400
Greg <unix@caribsurf.com> wrote:

> My experience, FWIW, Simply put:
>
> In kernel 2.4, ide-scsi module, we got used to the scsi-emulation concept.
>
> Whereas,
>
> In kernel 2.6, we were (somewhat confusingly, IMO) told the above, i.e.:
> "SCSI emulation is not required in v2.6.".
>
> IMHO this _should_ have said something along the lines of:
>
> "SCSI emulation is now built-in, in v2.6 'ide-cd' [compiled-in or as a
> module], so 'ide-scsi' is NO LONGER REQUIRED to achieve the _still_
> _necessary_ SCSI emulation."

Don't you think it would be more confusing to tell people that SCSI
emulation was built in to ide-cd. If you tell them that then they will
be expecting to have srX devices for their drives.

Scsi emulation always seemed like a kludge to me anyway that should
have only been used as the exception instead of the rule when the
proper driver was broken for a particular device.

I think people would be a lot less confused if the upstream guy
doing the cdrtools stuff  would get over it and do away with the big
scary sounding message that comes up with 2.6 kernels to the effect of
'oooh you don't have scsi emulation this might not work' just because he
would prefer to only support scsi.

Later, Seeker