Re: kernel 2.4.* vs 2.6.* and ATAPI dvd question

On Friday, 30 December 2005 at 21:55:27 -0700, Jules Dubois wrote:
> On Friday 30 December 2005 09:24, Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net>
> (<20051230162407.GB5857@bordello.co-ho.net>) wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, 29 December 2005 at 22:12:26 -0700, Jules Dubois wrote:
> > [...]
> >> SCSI emulation is not required in v2.6.
> >
> > I keep reading this, but xcdroast and so on still complain every time
> > that I should use SCSI emulation even though the kernel is 2.6.x.
>
> I haven't used xcdroast, so I can't say.  Does it work without SCSI
> emulation?

Yes, it seemed to work usually.  I take the precaution of setting a very
low speed, just in case.

> K3b gives me warnings about permissions on the cdrecord binaries, but I've
> discovered that I don't need to pay any attention.  IIRC, there was some
> change in kernel 2.8.1 that caused the K3b developers to add the helpful
> warning; I think this was changed back in some subsequent kernel version.
>
> > Is some other adjustment or setting needed instead?
>
> Does xcdroast use cdrecord to actually write the disks?  cdrecord has and
> still has some useless messages about "unresolved issues" in Linux "2.5",
> which now represent nothing more than a bad attitude on the part of its
> developer.  There were no "issues" and there are no "issues".

Yes, I believe the warnings come from cdrecord.  They certainly also
appear when I burn from the command line.  I was under the impression
that K3b was also a cdrecord frontend.

> To the author's credit, cdrecord is still an excellent program.

I second that.  I revert to using it directly whenever I get any snags
with the gui tools.

--
richard