Re: kernel 2.4.* vs 2.6.* and ATAPI dvd question

Seeker5528 wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:17:50 -0400
> Greg <unix@caribsurf.com> wrote:
>

>>>Don't you think it would be more confusing to tell people that SCSI
>>>emulation was built in to ide-cd. If you tell them that then they will
>>>be expecting to have srX devices for their drives
>>
>>1) I have symlinks:
>>greg@uniq:~$ ls -l /dev/sr*
>>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2006-01-11 13:52 /dev/sr0 ->
>>scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
>>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2006-01-11 13:52 /dev/sr1 ->
>>scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
>

> I have not had any srX links since I started using a 2.6.X kernel and
> stopped loading the ide-scsi module, so clearly there is no scsi
> emulation here.
>
> Since I upgraded to a DVD burner I have 3 links cdrom, dvd, and cdrw
> all pointing to /dev/hdb.
>
> If you actually have SCSI CD/CD-RW, DVD/DVD-RW drives then srX devices
> will be created with 2.6 kernels because they actually are SCSI devices.

$ uname -a
Linux uniq 2.6.15 #1 PREEMPT Tue Jan 3 22:06:09 AST 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
===========^^^^^^ (self-compiled)

$ scsiadd -p
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: YAMAHA   Model: CRW8424S         Rev: 1.0d
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: DVDRAM GSA-4040B Rev: A300
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

0,0,0 = (real)SCSI cdrw
1,0,0 = (real)ATAPI dvdrw

I will refrain from providing my (probably superfluous and confusatory) symlinks/devices list, as, due to the sheer damned annoying nature of all this scsi-emu-bullshit, I've been "messing about" with udev.

As of right now, both drives perform as expected, although I've thrown away several sets of "coasters" getting this far, over the last few YEARS.

A decade and a half or so ago, I leapt into solving knotty configuration problems in Linux with exuberant gusto, but, now, <SIGH> I just don't have the resources/energy to spend on bench/spare/testbed boxen. I gave up SysAdmin-Contracting to "spend more time with my Cocoa & Nutmeg Trees".
:-)

--
Ciao 4 now, Greg.
#        |  mailto:unix@spiceisle.com             #