Re: Should I Abandon Mutt and Exim4?

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 05:51:51PM -0500, Gregory Seidman wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 05:07:56PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
>> } I have spent a couple of days trying to configure Exim4 so as to be
>> able
>> } to respond to postings from Mutt but without success.
>> }
>> } All this time Mozilla has posted my items to the list with no
>> } difficulties and I find Mozilla will thread the downloads from the
>> list
>> } by subject.  I have not yet found, if they exist, the equivilents of
>> } Mutt's C^d to delete an entire string and L to post response to the
>> list
>> } but I can manage without these if necessary.
>> }
>> } I like Mutt, opened from the console I can read the messages without
>> my
>> } glasses and responding with exim used to work,  but do I really need
>> } it?  Are others working just with Mozilla?
>>
>> I haven't been following the mozilla + mutt thread, if that's the one
>> you're talking about. I am, however, successfully using mutt and exim4
>> together. I didn't really do anything special, though. My muttrc has a
>> somewhat complex configuration for mailing lists, but my exim4 config is
>> nothing more than a smarthost configuration, plus the following
>> additional
>> line in my /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf to use ~/Maildir instead of
>> /var/mail/$USER:
>>
>> dc_localdelivery='maildir_home'
>>
>> } Tom George
>> --Greg
>>
> Hi, I JUST finished setting up mail using fetchmail/procmail/exim4/mutt.
> What a pain! I found this website very helpful:
> http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~lativyn/articles/debian-mutt/
> If found all of the other articles i came across were too complicated to
> just get things working on a single user PC.
>
> Now that I have it working i'm glad i spent the time on it.

Hi,

I did a similar setup this week. As I live travel a lot (I live in two
different cities), it's hard to keep my mail from not getting scatthered.
I wanted to fetch my mail from a remote host somewhere on the internet and
keep it centralised on my own mailserver.

I installed exim4 with smarthost. Fetchmail polls my mailaccount every 7
minutes. Incoming messages get filtered with procmail (cut and pasted my
procmailrc file). Outbound mail is routed through exim4 to the smtp server
of my ISP. Just as any regular MUA would (check headers of this message to
see it work)

I use imap and imap-ssl to deliver mail to the clients on my laptop and my
two desktoppc's. I also use squirrelmail through apache2.

The hardest part was to get mail delivered in the right folders. I use the
Maildir format. It was a pain to get all the programs to understand that
my mail was in folder x and y. Especially .muttrc was difficult. I used
the 'mailboxes' directive in combination with 'mutt -y' Thunderbird seemed
to autodetect the right folders itself upon me logging in. Which was nice.
 Another helpful feature is to install logcheck (must have!) as it's
reports helped me great deal in solving several issues (frozen messages,
procmail not logging to the right location, etc.)

I used the same tutorial and i found it to be very helpful indeed. But you
should combine it with other tutorials like this one:

http://talk.trekweb.com/~jasonb/articles/exim_maildir_imap.shtml

In the end, I learned a lot about mailservers and e-mail.

With regards,

Matthias Vandermaesen
--
http://www.netsensei.nl