Re: SOLVED (Re: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 yeilds no XF86Config-4 file?)

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 08:58:31PM -0700, Ed Young wrote:

Thanks again! Now I just need to get my Dlink DWL-G510 WiFi card working
and all my dreams will have come true...

Check the chipset: do an lspci and report back to the list  what it outputs.

If it's an Atheros, support is fairly good.

If it's a TI acx*, you may have to work harder, but it's still feasible.
You will almost certainly need to load (non-DFSG free) software from
the Windows driver disk for either of the above.

Note that the Atheros chipset is supported by the madwifi driver (see http://madwifi.org). It's a native linux driver, so no Windows pieces are needed. It's not a free driver - there's a binary blob required to talk to the hardware, but it does work reasonably well. I have one in my T41p, so I have to use this driver.

There is a project to develop a completely free driver for Atheros, but I don't know what state it's in.

Jerry Quinn