From: Joris Huizer [mailto:jorishuizer@planet.nl]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 5:33 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: and it's a good thing too (Re: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
yeilds no XF86Config-4 file?)

Clive Menzies wrote:

> It's written as a comment in the conf file itself.  If you manually
> modify the conf file dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 won't work until

> you move the modified file out of the way:
>
> # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically #

> updated # again, run the following commands as root:
> #
> #   cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.custom
> #   md5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 >/var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum
> #   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
> Regards
>
> Clive

Just to give you the idea of why this is a good thing :-)
some years ago when I was using woody, an upgrade of X wiped away any
changes in a customly configured XF86Config-4 -- I'm sure the need for
these commands is to prevent just that problem

(ow, I meant to write that to the original poster but, anyway, it'll
show up in the thread)

regards,

Joris