Re: New install->Broken X->modprobe mousedev->now X Works, but no mouse

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 03:17:24PM -0700, Ed Young wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> It's a standard PS/2 mouse with a scroll wheel.
>
> The mouse works fine under Windows XP(dual boot system) and when I cat
> /dev/input/mice and move the mouse, I get the random characters. The
> system is a cheapo MicroCenter PowerSpec, but I've had it running Linux
> and X successfully in the past. As a matter of fact, I installed Ubuntu
> on it the other day just to see if everything worked under Ubuntu and it
> did. X and the mouse worked fine.
>
> Very frustrating how much trouble I've been having with this.
> Any other ideas.
>
> Ed

Well, the thing that normally works for me is to play around with the
Protocol setting in the InputDevice section for my mouse. Right now, I
only have a USB mouse and the protocol is ImPS/2. I forget what the
other possible values are. Apparently, PS/2 mice do actually require
different protocol settings depending on make and manufacturer.

Do you own/could you borrow or procure an USB mouse? I found them to
be much less painful to configure. You could play around with one of
those to make sure that it's a problem with that particular mouse and
not something more fundamental with X.

Oh and one little anecdote from my vast store of experiences, a
cautionary tale, if you will: Once upon a time, I had a very similar
problem; kept me looking for answers for quite a while. In the end, it
turned out that I had two mouse devices defined in my xorg.conf, but
only one of them (the one that wasn't actually connected) was added to
the ServerLayout section. Things to ponder...

 --j