Re: FAT patents. Do we need to revive non-US?

Andrew Sackville-West writes:
> ...my understanding is that M$ intends to enforce this patent.

They intend to enforce it against manufacturers of NVRAM storage devices:
there's money there.

> ...its not clear to me whether the patent applies to drivers or to the
> act of writing a FAT system.

It's on the long-filename gimmick.  I should think that there would be
workarounds, but I haven't read the patent.

> I'm sure the anit-monopoly guys will have something to say about this.

A patent is a legal monopoly enforced by the courts.
--
John Hasler