Re: FAT patents. Do we need to revive non-US?

hendrik writes:
> Apparently there is now a patent on the FAT file system within the US,
> anyway.  Do we have to rip it out of the kernel?

No (that patent is not new).

> Do we have to stop distributing the kernel until we've done so?

No.  The kernel probably infringes dozens, perhaps hundreds of patents.
Debian's policy is to ignore patents in the absence of evidence that the
owner is likely to enforce them on us.

> Is it time to revive the non-US repository so that at least the rest or
> the world can still transfer files between Linux and Windows?

Don't forget non-DE as well.
--
John Hasler