Re: Any way to 'remove' apt-get?

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 11:23:43AM +0000, Andy Hawkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In article <20060111110544.GA1224@jardine.de>,
>            David Jardine<david@jardine.de> wrote:
> > you could put:
> >
> > alias apt-get='echo "Use aptitude instead" '
> >
> > in /etc/profile.
>
> I did think of something similar :)
>
> I did also try uninstalling apt, but it tried to remove aptitude too!
>
> Does aptitude use apt?

Yes, of _course_ it does: both also use dpkg underneath.

If you go back slightly in the archives, you'll find an informative
post from Joey Hess about the similarities and differences between
the various front ends to dpkg, the thread including a rant from me :)

The hierarchy is something like

synaptic -- aptitude -- adept

   dselect -- apt-get

   	apt