Re: OS X & Debian LAN [was: Mac OS X and Debian Linux LAN research.]

On (11/01/06 12:42), Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Clive Menzies wrote:
> > On my LAN router (Vigor2600) I don't see hostnames for Linux clients -
> > I've wondered why but didn't think it was sufficiently important to
> > spend time on.... nevertheless I'd be interested to know thw answer :)
>
> To update DNS with a DHCP hostname, one needs to configure as follows.
>
> aptitude install dhcp3-client
>
> Append the following to the end of /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf.
>
> send fqdn.fqdn "myhost.mydomain.whatever.";
> send fqdn.encoded on;
> send fqdn.server-update on;
>
> Then restart dhclient.  Works for me against a bind server.  Can't
> comment on your router.

Unfortunately, this doesn't make any difference; I probably need to dig
around the router settings or use one of our debian servers to run DHCP.

As I said, it doesn't cause any real problems, so it'll wait until I
have some time to dig deeper.

Thanks anyway :)

Regards

Clive